About Me

My photo
Oregon, United States
Wife, mother, homemaker, teacher and aspiring writer. I love learning about health and sharing that information with others. But I am not a health expert, so please take any advice given on this blog at your own risk

Saturday, September 17, 2011

End of Week 1: Amazing Changes in Weight and Blood Pressure!

As I said in my previous post, I'll now be switching from daily to weekly posts to share the outcome of the previous week.

This morning, I was excited about taking our weight and blood pressure measurements to see if anything had changed. Well, we were quite surprised at the outcome because we hadn't expected much change yet.

My weight went down by almost three and a half pounds this week! I have no idea how, because I was eating more than enough food and not feeling deprived. My husband on the other hand had no change in weight.

As for the blood pressure, measurements are written as a ratio such as 117/76 mm HG (millimeters of mercury). The top , larger number is called the Systolic and the bottom, smaller number is the Diastolic.

Both my top and bottom numbers more or less stayed the same. Whereas, for my husband, the top number went down by about 15 and the bottom number went down by eight. It really surprised him that the diet could do this, and so quickly.

After a quick breakfast, we went off to Vegfest at the Convention Center. We had a great time sampling all the yummy vegan foods and collecting coupons for products from area stores. My husband was so happy to discover some great tasting ice creams, while I was happy to find my vegan chocolate! We were also looking forward to hearing one of the guest speakers, but the  room was already full and we watched an entertaining cooking demonstration instead.

Tonight, we're going to a South Indian restaurant to have Masala Dosas (crispy, rice/lentil crepes stuffed with spicy potatoes and served with coconut chutney and Sambhar, a tangy, vegetable curry made from lentils). It's my husband's favorite food!

I think I'm going to cook more of our favorite Indian foods for a while, because they work so well for a plant-based diet.

3 comments:

  1. That's great, Kiran! I'm so happy to see that your vegan test is working so well for you. And pretty darned impressive about your husband's BP too! The meal you were planning to have sounded just YUMMY! I love Indian food...Swagat's one of my favorite places to eat (not that that's where you were going) I could eat that stuff every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tine, Thanks for following the blog. It will be interesting to see what happens to his BP after his business trips this week. The meal at Chennai Masala was absolutely yummy and my husband said it was the best Dosa he has ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Kiran. I have been cooking a lot of beans, too. We had split pea soup last night with Mochi "croutons" and a salad of greens, pears and pecans. Thanks for mentioning the restaurant you visited. We are going to try it out this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete